Private Pilot Course
FirstFlight is an online flight school providing online flying lessons that help you become a private pilot.
Complete “how to” instruction guides you from your FirstFlight all the way to your private pilot check ride.
- FirstFlight fully prepares you to take to the skies with a local flight instructor so you can progress faster and save time and money.
- FirstFlight combines text, audio and unique animated lessons to provide you with a rich multi-media learning experience.
- Lessons include links to a comprehensive glossary to explain key aviation terminology.
- Expert tips and alerts included so you can benefit from the know-how of a Gold Seal instructor with many years of teaching experience.
- Links to a complete copy of the Practical Test Standards provided for each maneuver.
- FirstFlight navigation and weather logs included.
- Budget for your training costs at different flight schools by using the FirstFlight training cost calculator.
- Get extra help with your landings and communications from special FirstFlight features.
- Preflighting the AircraftHow to inspect the airplane prior to each flight.
- Introduction to the AircraftTaxi, takeoff , straight and level flight, turns, climbs, descent, landing and post-flight procedures.
- Flight CommunicationsCommunications and an introduction to flight by instrument reference.
- Slow Flight, Stalls and Steep TurnsSlow flight, stall recognition and recovery, spin awareness, and steep turns.
- Ground Reference ManeuversGround reference maneuvers and emergency procedures.
- Preparation for the Traffic PatternPreparation for practicing takeoffs and landings incorporating a unique FirstFlight maneuver know as the 3-D rectangular pattern.
- Takeoffs and LandingsTouch and Go landings.
- Advanced Takeoff and Landing TechniquesSoft field takeoffs and landings, short field takeoffs and landings, no-flap takeoffs and landings, forward slips to landings and crosswind landings.
- Flight Planning Flight planning techniques used for cross-country flight, plus how to obtain weather information from a flight service station or using DUAT.
- Cross Country FlightMake a cross country flight using dead reckoning and pilotage, open and close flight plans, request flight following, plus no-tower communications.
- Cross Country with Radio NavigationFly cross-country using radio navigation techniques. Homing and tracking using a VOR.
- Night FlightNight flying techniques.
- Diversions and Lost ProceduresHow to initiate a diversion and what to do if you are lost.
- Test PreparationPreparation for your practical test and an introduction to the skills needed to recover from unusual flight attitudes.
- Communication Clinic
- Touchdown Clinic
- Scans Clinic
- Mountain Flying Clinic
Your actual flight training will consist of more flights than the thirteen flights listed, and the sequence may be adjusted to suit your individual circumstances. They should be supplemented with home study and ground instruction as directed by your personal flight instructor. Depending on your rate of progress, some flights will be flown more than once, and there will also be solo flights interspersed amongst these training sessions, which are intended to be flown with an instructor. FirstFlight online lessons are not specifically designed to serve as your sole preparation for the FAA written exam, although they will certainly assist you with that goal.